“A longing [heart’s desire] fulfilled is a tree of life.”
— from Proverbs 13:12
Notes for Contemplation as You Use this Devotional:
- Longings or heart’s desires are God’s (Spirit’s) call within us to more fully express Itself through us, as us.
- Many cultures use the symbolism of a Tree of Life. The tree is God’s gift to us as a continually renewing source for our ever-abiding sustenance and personal nourishment.
- What are you longing for, and/or what are your heart’s desires, right now?
- List as many things as apply, honestly and confidently, without edits or judgments, being as specific as possible. Everything from eating a chocolate-covered caramel to being debt-free counts.
- Review your list.
- What patterns, if any, do you see?
- Note them in another list.
- How do you imagine feeling as you take steps to fulfill your longing or heart’s desire in the new year?
- Be as specific as possible.
- How do you feel?
- How does your new experience look?
- When you consider all your previous answers, what are at least 3 things you can do to fulfill your longing or realize your heart’s desire?
- List as many as you think of throughout the week.
- During the following week, begin scheduling actions in your planner or calendar.
- Continue noting your daily progress.
Give yourself as much time and space as you need to process the text and your feelings, as you allow new divine ideas, opportunities, and activities to unfold.